Servus Calgary Marathon - Earn, Burn and Learn
The 2023 Servus Calgary Marathon will take place on Sunday, May 28, 2023. Schools can promote engagement and participation over the next 4 months, whether it be as race event participants, volunteers, or both. Schools can invite their students, teachers, parents, siblings and even community neighbors to participate through school running clubs, cross-country teams, physical education curriculum, leadership and volunteerism clubs...just to name a few ideas.
Running improves physical well-being, reduces stress, helps build a stronger immune system, and prevents muscle and bone loss. It builds self-confidence and is something you can do alone or as a family unit and is essential for many sports. Perhaps the most important for us, running promotes a healthy, active lifestyle. The chance to win some money for your school is just icing on the cake!
How It Works
- Register your school HERE
- Share this opportunity with your school community (we will provide you with email templates and promotional materials!)
- Schools will compete in one of three categories based on student population size (0-499 students; 500-999 students; 1000+ students).
- Anyone connected with your school may participate: parents, students, teachers, family, friends, and community neighbours. Just ask them to select “yes” during their 2023 Servus Calgary Marathon race event or volunteer registration for the question: “Are you participating in the Earn, Burn & Learn School Contest?” They will need to select your school name from the list, and that’s it!
- Accumulate points for each race people in your school community sign up for, as well as each volunteer shift during race weekend!
- Any race day distance counts towards total kilometers: 1.2 km Kids Marathon, 5 km, 10 km, Half Marathon (21.1 km), Marathon (42.2 km), and 50 km Ultra. Each kilometer = 1 point.
- Each completed volunteer shift = 10 points.
- The school that accumulates the most points (in each category) through kilometers registered by runners and walkers, and completed volunteer shifts will be awarded $2000 to be applied towards fitness gear or wellness programming for the school.
Benefits for Participating Schools
- Promotes health and wellness, as well as volunteerism
- Encourages physical activity and community involvement
- Opportunity to grow your schools fitness and wellness resources